Monday, March 4, 2013

Superstorm Sandy and Our Cover Shoot House...

We wanted to update you on the fate of the home that Ryan Benyi shot for the cover of our Spring/Summer edition of Flea Market Style. FMS Senior Editor/Writer Christine noted at the end of her story that Superstorm Sandy "roared into town" and left three feet of standing water in the Long Island, NY, cottage owned by Elena Colombo.
In addition to being featured as the cover shot, Elena's 1,000-square-foot weekend getaway, a 1900s-era cottage, was the subject of the 10-page "Water Power" spread.
Elena shared these "after" pictures, and talked with me about the restoration underway.
"I'm taking this opportunity to raise my house according to FEMA standards for coastal living, which will put it roughly five feet higher than it is now,"she said. "I am about to complete the architctural plans with a local firm, Fairweather Brown. It then has to go to our community and town for approvals. So I'm about 30 percent of the way through, I would guess."
Elena said while her small community of 31 tiny houses is tight-knit, "I think we are all still in shock. Though only about a quarter of us were affected with flooding, and most of the shareholders do not spend winter out there, I'm pretty much moving through the process on my own."
Christine's article described "flotsam beach,"a patch of of waterfront where Elena would harvest treasures that washed in with the tide. 
Is it still there?
"Fortunately, yes," she said, wryly, "with a lot more flotsam!"
Barring unforseen complications, Elena said it is her goal to restore the cottage to how it looked in FMS by the end of the summer.
"That cottage is my peace of mind. I will do everything in my power to restore and protect it. She has a bright and colorful future ahead of her, so I'm not worried," Elena said."I'm up to the task."
We at FMS wish Elena well in her quest! Considering the beautiful home she had put together and shared with our readers, we know her assessment is spot on!

Kim

6 comments:

2littlehooligans said...

oh goodness that is heart breaking! but yes, if she did it once she can do it again:) wish her well!

pathtojunkentreasure said...

How sad and heart breaking! My wishes and prayers are with Elena and the community. She seems strong and will come back even better.

Christine Hofmann-Bourque said...

I know Elena will bring back her cottage better than ever. Good thoughts going out to Elena as she works through this tough process...

Tammy Killough said...

How sad. Prayers and thoughts for this family. Time will heal this...and she will make her home amazing again! ~Tammy

Cynthia Carolina said...

this is a place where we always find good ideas ...

Festive Fibers said...

I have fallen in love with Elena's color scheme, and am saddened to see the force of water at its worse. I live in a town in NH who also lost so much in a flash flood in October 2005. I watched friends loose everything, and others save their homes, with a passion like Elena's. I wish Elena well in her recovery.