Thursday, October 15, 2009

Decorating for Halloween...Flea Market Style


(image source: The Graphics Fairy)

Fifteen more days. That's all we have until all of the little ghosts and goblins show up at our doors begging for candy. Some of us are Halloween crazy (Matthew) and some not as much (Ki), but all of us make some nod to the holiday, and of course we do it flea market style.

Halloween, done Ki's way:



And Matthew's:




And a little from me:


When at the Junk Bonanza in September, there was a respectable amount of Halloween decor and I was amazed by the creative pieces of vintage Halloween I found.
Here are some examples:

If you look closely, you will see that the lockers are labelled Bates and Goodwin, and the jack O' Lantern is actually a painted vintage globe.


And a beautiful Halloween shadow box. Wouldn't that be fun to make?


Now, I asked my fellow Flea Marketeers to tell me what their favourite vintage Halloween decoration is that they own, and they responded in kind:

Ki: "My fave is a giant black rubber spider with red eyes and bumps all over. It is about the size of a large hand and has come out of hiding every Halloween since the kids were small. The first year, I made it a spider web from white clothesline that covered my entire kitchen ceiling. Creepy! I spent days trying to figure out the correct design for the web and appropriate installation. We planned a big bash at our house for neighbors and friends, but it snowed 2 feet and only one family showed up...on snowmobiles!"

Sarah: "Honestly, my favorite Halloween decorations are good old-fashioned pumpkins, whether they are the funky bluish heirlooms or the warty gourds or the basic orange fellows. And I love to pile the little ones in my window box."

Matthew: "My favorite is a vintage "black cat" planter. I alternately place flowers inside it or candy. It is a real treasure!"

Jenny: "Hands down, I love the vintage paper articulated skeleton that we have and hang on the inside of our front door. He is so charming and adorable...he's definitely my favourite!"

Stacey: "I own several vintage halloween postcards. I love the art and colors! I hang them on a cord with clips in my dining room this time of year."

Heather: "I don't own very many Halloween decorations because I prefer to decorate for the autumn season. My favorite vintage piece would be any of my antique wooden dough bowls. They're perfect to fill with gourds, pumpkins, branches and berries and create a natural centerpiece for any table."



*******************************************
Now, don't forget our I'm a Flea Marketeer  party (via Mr. Linky) is on Monday. Remember to get your posts ready showing your most recent or favourite flea market/yard sale/thrift shop finds. We can't wait to see what our talented readers discover on their flea market travels!

8 comments:

Courtney said...

I really love Ki's image. Understated and quirky holiday decorations are my favorite.

Iva's Creations said...

I love that chair in Matthew's decor! The masked pumpkin and socks are so striking against the dark, rich colors!

Sharon said...

Love the Halloween banner!!

Meadowview Farm said...

I so adore Halloween. My dining room table hosts a white painted 3-tier table loaded with spookiness: bowls of dominos, a small black suitcase filled with vintage rag balls in orange, and of course...plastic halloween candy containers from my own childhood.
Thanks for the oh so fun post!
Kari

Elyse said...

one cool idea after another! love the use of cut-up license plates and glitter is always good!

xo

Wendy McDonagh-Valentine said...

Don't tell Ki and Matthew but I like yours the best!! :)

~ Wendy
http://Crickleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

Reid said...

I LOVE that little blue pumpkin!!!

PamperingBeki said...

Oh man, I love every single one of these images!!